The FirstStep Employment Law Advisor is one of a number of elaws Advisors that the Department of Labor (DOL) has developed to help employers and employees understand their rights and responsibilities under certain federal employment laws.
Because the laws applicable to a specific business or an organization depend on such factors as the nature and location of the business, the number of employees, the annual dollar volume, and whether the business has federal contracts or subcontracts, the Advisor will ask you a series of questions in these areas.
If employers already know which federal employment laws apply to them, the Advisor can quickly provide basic information about how to comply with these laws, including the requirements for record keeping, reporting, and posters and other notices. This information can also be printed off as a reference guide.
There are some situations when the Advisor may not be able to help you decide if a particular law applies to your business or organization, and you may wish to speak with a DOL representative about a particular issue. In order to assist you, the Advisor provides DOL contact information for each law.
Links to State Labor offices and State Labor Laws are located in the following subsection.
Top 20 Requested Items
All sorts of people use the Department of Labor (DOL) Web site. Here is a list of pages that workers, students, employers are going to most frequently.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Consumer Price Index (Statistics)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Employment and Unemployment Data
- State Minimum Wage Laws
- Compliance Assistance: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Find It By Topic: Wages
- Wages by Area and Occupation (Statistics)
- Compliance Assistance: Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- OSHA’s Recordkeeping Page
- DOL Job Opportunities
- DOL Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- FairPay/Overtime Security
- Compliance Assistance: Employment Laws and Regulations
- Statistics on Professional and Related Occupations
- Employment Laws Assistance for Workers & Small Businesses
- State Labor Offices and State Labor Laws
- Current Population Survey (Statistics)
- Employment Situation (Statistics)
- DOL Forms Library
The HR Power Centre will provide periodic update alerts on our member home page. We recommend that you subscribe to receive elaws email updates to ensure that you remain current on all important compliance assistance tools.